Share With Facebook

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Rose Hill Mansion, Geneva, NY

When we were in Geneva, NY, last month, I spotted a beautiful old Greek Revival mansion along Route 69A, overlooking Seneca Lake. It's so enchanting! We stopped so I could snap a few photos.

Rose Hill 1

Rose Hill 2

I did a little digging, and Rose Hill is technically in Fayette, NY. It was built in 1837. It's listed on the National Historic Landmark Register.

One of the finest examples of the Greek Revival Style in the United States. Built (1837-39) on a monumental scale, it reflects the prosperity of Western New York as a result of the Erie Canal.


I walked up to the front portico and peeked inside the front door.

Rose Hill 4

Everything is covered up for the season.

Rose Hill 5

Apparently, there are tours here. They house opens May 1st. Maybe I can go again!


I walked around the house a little. The architecture for even the BACK and side doors is so lovely.

Rose Hill 7

Rose Hill 8

By then, I was huffing and puffing from the exertion and the intense lake winds blasting me back. The winds were so fierce, I thought I was going to lose my camera.

Apparently, no one knows exactly who built the house (that I have seen, anyway). Wikipedia suggests it was local craftsmen who drew the pattern from the famous Minard Lafever's book, The Beauties of Modern Architecture. WOW! Can you imagine, a bunch of local carpenters and craftsmen, cracking open a book and just building a mansion from it?!

This is why I love old houses-- they have mystery and they have quality. Average people did such monumental things. :)

I've GOT to go there someday. I need to keep posting about sensa weight loss reviews so I can save up for gas (ugh) to drive out to Geneva again!

Do you have any glorious mansions in your area? Do you know who built them, and how old they are?

0 comments:

Post a Comment